7 Best Essential Oils For Better Sleep
We all know sleep is important, but sometimes it can be a struggle getting those recommended 8 hours. There's many things that can impact on our precious rest, from noisy neighbours to constant phone screens. But with poor sleep leading to a variety of problems, including forgetfulness, stress and lack of focus, we could all benefit from a better night's rest.
While we can't stop next door's dog from barking, or make you turn off that late night Netflix binge, we can share with you the best essential oils to promote sleep. Aromatherapy is a powerful tool that can be very effective at relaxing you ready for bedtime. So whether you struggle with falling asleep, staying asleep, or getting your brain to quieten down for bed, here are the essential oils you need to be using (and some ways to use them).
7 Best Essential Oils to Promote Better Sleep
Unsurprisingly, Lavender comes top of this list. Probably the most well known essential oil, it's renowned for its relaxing and calming effect on the mind and body. This oil is great for use in an aroma diffuser, to fill your bedroom with its soothing scent. If you've not got a diffuser, don't worry - you can still experience this effect by applying 4 drops to a tissue and placing it on your radiator.Chamomile is a great alternative. Another floral scent, Chamomile essential oil is soothing, good for restlessness and anxious feelings. Use this oil if you're prone to worrying at night or struggle with calming a busy mind.
3. BergamotWhilst a citrus scent may not be the first thing you think of for promoting sleep, Bergamot is actually a calming oil that can reduce stress and anxiety and improve sleep quality. This is a great ingredient to put in a homemade sleep balm, alongside lavender and chamomile. We've got a recipe at the end of this article.
4. Ylang YlangAnother floral note, this sweet and relaxing scent can soothe away stress and calm any tension, preparing you for quality sleep. Enjoy gorgeous Ylang Ylang essential oil and all its aromatherapy benefits by diluting a few drops in a carrier oil (like grapeseed or rice bran) to create your own massage oil. Simply massage into the skin to relax ready for bed.
5. PetitgrainThis stimulating yet relaxing essential oil is traditionally used in treatments for insomnia, and can also be used to remedy fatigue and tiredness. A simple way of experiencing the benefits of Petitgrain is to add a few drops into a bath, relieving tension and melting away stress.
6. FrankincenseCommonly used during meditation, Frankincense has a calming effect that can clear the mind - perfect if you struggle to forget about your to-do list whilst lying in bed. This is another essential oil that's great for fragrancing a room, so why not try creating your own sleep spray? Just combine 50ml alcohol witch hazel with 50ml distilled water in a spray bottle, add 10 drops of essential oil and shake. Spritz it around your room before bed to enjoy the aromatherapy benefits.
A calming scent, Cedarwood essential oil can provide relief from stress and anxiety. Use this oil before bed to soothe a nervous mind, preparing you for a restful sleep.
Homemade Sleep Balm Recipe
It's super easy to make your own natural aromatherapy sleep balm. Unlike some that use beeswax, our recipe is totally vegan! All you need is:
- 1 tbsp (15ml) coconut oil
- 1 tbsp (15ml) grapeseed oil
- 2 drops Lavender essential oil
- 2 drops Bergamot essential oil
- 1 drop Chamomile essential oil
- Small tin
Unlike our other recipes, this product would really benefit from the use of a preservative. Because of the nature of the product it gets touched quite often, which increases risk of contamination. It will last around 2 weeks unpreserved, but if you want to keep it for longer you should add a cross-spectrum preservative.
While it's not guaranteed to get you to bed on time, aromatherapy can help to ease you into a more relaxed, better quality sleep. The techniques above will work with any of the oils listed, so why not try a few and see which is your favourite? Everything you need is available in our store.