Peppermint and Orange Wax Melts
Wax melts are a fun alternative to conventional candles that let you explore endless shapes, colours and scent combinations to suit your personal taste. Simply place these individual wax cubes into the top of an oil burner with a tea light underneath. Once melted they will release enough scent to fill a whole room.
With top notes of peppermint and orange this blend is invigorating and perfect to keep you motivated and focused!
The power is in your hands. However, we recommend using soy wax as the most eco-friendly option. When buying your wax ensure that you get 'pillar blend', which shrinks slightly when set to make them easy to remove from moulds. Always be careful when working with hot wax – this is meant to be a fun and creative DIY, we don’t want any injuries!
- 100g soy 'pillar blend' wax
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
- 20 drops orange essential oil
- candle dye (optional)
- large glass bowl or jug
- hob and pan
- moulds (ice cube or small baking moulds will work)
- Put the soy wax in your bowl and heat it over a pan of boiling water, until it is liquid and has a temperature of around 85ºC.
- Add the essential oils (and dyes if desired) to your wax and mix until it is all combined and one solid colour.
- Leave your mixture to cool until it reaches roughly 60ºC to avoid the melts dipping in the middle.
- Carefully pour the wax into your moulds.
- Leave your melts to completely set in a cool dry environment, for a few days.
- Once they are cool and completely set, pop them out of the moulds and they are ready for use. Use within 12 months.
How do I use wax melts?
It's really easy. Just place the wax melt into your warmer and light a tealight underneath. The wax will melt just like a candle, releasing the warm and invigorating scent into your room. If you have an electric warmer, simply place your melt in and turn it on, then sit back and enjoy the aroma.
Share your creations with us on Twitter or Facebook. If you want more recipes and ideas like this, then you can find them in our book Bright and Beautiful - Making Your Own Natural Cosmetics, available here.
Peppermint Mint Essential Oil£2.95
Bright and Beautiful - Making Your Own Natural Cosmeticsfrom £6.95